Monday, March 9, 2009

Getting a New Brain...

She told me she was getting a new brain,
streamlined, hotwired,
without the 20 cm lump, but at that moment, I
couldn't get mine to work, to send a message
to my mouth to form meaningful words
and ouput them toward her.
She told me it, the lump, had been growing for the last ten years,
secretly culturing in a frontal lobe hideout,
until it had its coming out party on the MRI screen, earning
immediate star billing.
"It's coming out next week, or 'so-they-say,' Tuesday,
unless they change the day again; they've done that, oh,
a few times now, 'cause it's benign-no worry, no hurry,"
I felt my lips begin to move, but
"hey, it's okay, I'm fine, just a headache here and there,"
I nodded instead,
imagining some foreign body inside, growing,
finding space within my space,
wondering what are the odds, benign? malignant?
knowing that the difference between her and me
was the God that let her hope and the one
that left me questioning,
why?
I nodded and smiled at her, now walking away with a cheerful "bye"
and I tried to accept it all at face value:
A benign tumor would soon be taken out of her brain.
The end. I tried in the silence
to still my thoughts
me, left alone,
mouth
closed.

4 comments:

Sliloh said...

Scary yes, and I hope all goes well. I say trust the doctors when they say benign. I also say there's nothing benign about having something that large growing where it shouldn't. I had one removed and I'll tell you they can perform miracles these days, have faith ;)

Anita

Teacher and Learner said...

My friend is well...tumor the size of an orange...but she's home and back on facebook after only a week. It was growing in there for 10+ years!

Sliloh said...

I'm glad to hear she made it through all right. It's amazing how fast you can bounce back from those.

Anita

ava said...

wow, that's about me!!
way cool.
i am honored.
ava